An Emmy Nominated Show
Here’s The Story, an Emmy nominated show that premiered in 2011 and is produced by acclaimed journalist Steve Rogers, is now featuring a two part show featuring the Green Amendment movement. The show joins Maya as she explores the history of the Green Amendment movement and meets with environmental, political and legal leaders key to the movements past, present and future. Among those interviewed is NJ Governor Phil Murphy, PA Senator Franklin Kury who originally conceived of the idea for PA, and the chief justice who wrote the iconic opinion that helped launch the movement.
You can watch the show, see Facebook live chats with some of the key players, and see the full interviews that were conducted as part of the show here: Here’s the Story: The Green Amendment.
Free Resources for Educators
Working with experienced scientists and lawyers as well as classroom teachers and a curriculum specialist, GAFTG developed a free downloadable Teacher’s Guide which complements the book, The Green Amendment: Securing Our Right to a Healthy Environment. This curriculum is designed to engage and challenge students both with class work and community involvement.
A Letter from Maya K. van Rossum: Racial Justice Demands Constitutional “Green Amendments”
Read GAFTG Founder, Maya van Rossum’s open letter calling for environmental and racial justice, which offers a tangible pathway to change. Check out the moving video piece in which 24 diverse leaders and activists joined van Rossum in delivering the letter.
Resources from NJ Youth Leaders
NJ Youth are passionate about securing constitutional environmental rights for both present and future generations. Check out these helpful youth lead resources:
Support Green Amendments For the Generations!
Learn More Below
Factsheets & Materials
Understanding and Implementing a Green Amendment in New Jersey
The Green Amendment Concept
- The Green Amendment, Securing Our Rights to a Healthy Environment—The Book
- What is a Green Amendment
- Green Amendment Frequently Asked Questions & Their Answers
- Demanding and Defending Your Rights to Clean Air, Clean Water, & a Healthy Environment
- Green Amendments: Giving Constitutional Power to Environmental Justice
- How To Implement & Apply a Green Amendment
- ELI Dialogue: Green Amendments, Vehicles for Environmental Justice, Panel, Fall 2021
- Protections Offered with Trust Language in a Green Amendment
- Using Green Amendments to Strengthen Environmental Justice
- Green Amendment Checklist: Essential Elements of an Effective Environmental Rights Amendment
- Benefits of a Constitutional Provision Protecting Environmental Rights
- Green Amendments: Giving Constitutional Power to Environmental Justice
- Guide of Decisions Using PA Green Amendment Since Dec 2013 Revival
- Green Amendments, Properly Placed and Written, Are A Restraint On Governmental Authority - Article By Team of Attorneys that Successfully Argued PA Case
- The Green Amendment: An Idea Whose Time It Has Always Been, by Gerald J. Williams, Esq.
Webinars & Video Content
- The Green Amendment Films Series
- The NJ Green Amendment: A New Tool for Environmental Protection & Justice
- Short Video: What is a Green Amendment?
- Facebook Live with Senator Kip Bateman
- NJSSC Student Training
- BBPBNJ Legislator Webinar – Youth Voices on the Green Amendment
- Legislative Briefing: 50th Anniversary of PA's Green Amendment
- The Impact of Pennsylvania Green Amendments on Decisionmaking in Pennsylvania
- Pennsylvania's Environmental Rights Amendment in Practice
- Here’s the Story: Rivers — PBS/NJTV
- NYWEA: A NY Constitutional Amendment
- A New York Green Amendment Webinar Series
- More video content available on Youtube
- Watch & Listen: press, podcast, & media content
Resources for Securing Municipal Resolutions of Support
- 2023 NJ Green Amendment Model Resolution Template
- Municipal Resolution Outreach Flyer
- Passed Resolution: Village of Ridgewood
- Passed Resolution: Borough of Metuchen
- Passed Resolution: Burlington County
- Passed Resolution: Sierra Club - New Jersey Chapter
- Passed Resolution: Essex County Board of Freeholders
- Passed Resolution: Medical Society of New Jersey
- Passed Resolution: Borough of Cape May Point
- Passed Resolution: Aberdeen Township
- Passed Resolution: Borough Bradley Beach Resolution
Resources for Teachers/Educators
- Green Amendment Teacher Guide (Print | Screen)
- Student Guide and more available
- Virtual Canoe Race - Online educational adventure game that teaches Geography, History, and Science in a trivia contest format
- Article: How to Talk to Your Kids About Climate Change — & Why You Have To
Se puede explorar nuestras materiales aqui
Necesitamos una Enmienda Verde por New Jersey para mejorar nuestra ambiente
- ¿Que es un Enmienda Verde?
- Exigiendo y defendiendo tu derecho a agua limpia, aire limpio, y un ambiente saludable
- Enmienda Verde lista de control
- Como implementar y aplicar una enmienda verde
- Protecciones ofrecidas incorporando el lenguaje de un fideicomiso en la Enmienda Verde de un Estado
- Haciendo que la justicia ambiental sea una obligación real del gobierno
- Beneficios de una provisión constitucional protegiendo los derechos ambientales
How Green Amendments Are Helping In PA & MT & NY (the 3 states that have them)
- Robinson Twp, Delaware Riverkeeper Network et.al. v. Commonwealth: pro-fracking law defeated as unconstitutional
- PEDF v. Commonwealth: misappropriation of environmental funds secured through fracking leases on public lands a constitutional concern
- Delaware Riverkeeper Network v. PADEP re Bishop Tube: failure of state to act to address decades of high level site contamination is a constitutional concern
- Marple Township Commissioners Rely on Art 1 Section 27: reject damaging development that would have devastated treasured woodland, the Don Guanella Woods
- PFAS Protections: Pennsylvania Government Advances PFAS Standards to Protect Environmental Rights & Fulfill Constitutional Green Amendment Obligation
- Center Coalfield Justice v. PADEP: longwall coal mining permit revision unlawful as constitutional violation
- Friends of Lackawanna v. PADEP: landfill renewal permit ordered modified to address historic groundwater contamination
- PA Attorney General Empanels Grand Jury to investigate systemic failures of government regards to the environmental and community impacts fracking
- PA Attorney General is routinely using the PA Green Amendment to support environmental protection efforts
- Gov Wolf Vetoes lawthat prohibited communities from instituting plastic ban protections
- PA Public Utilities Commission re Transource Powerline: PUC Administrative Law Judge recommends denial of powerline approval that later adopted by the PUC Commissioners.
- PEDF IV: Supreme Court speaks to the constitutional environmental rights of future generations.
- Marple Township v Pennsylvania Public Utilities Commission: affirming obligation of all government to conduct a constitutionally-based environmental assessment of proposed action as part of decision making.
- MEIC v. Montana DEQ: industrial gold mining permit rescinded for failure to consider and protect natural resources
- Cape France Enterprises v. Estate of Peed: court rejected ordering specific performance of a drilling contract that could have contaminated groundwater supply
- Park Cty Envtl Council & Greater Yellowstone Coalition v. MT DEA & Lucky Minerals: gold mining exploration license vacated and state law deemed unconstitutional for exempting activities from essential environmental reviews.
- Held v. State of Montana: Youth Climate Legal Action withstands motion to dismiss largely because of environmental rights (in other states without a Green Amendment similar cases have been dismissed).
- Fresh Air For The East Site v. New York: first decision utilizing NY Green Amendment in context of a landfill.
- Robinson Township, Delaware Riverkeeper Network, et al v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania., Dec. 19, 2013 – PA Sup Ct Plurality Opinion
- Montana Environmental Info Ctr V. Dept of Envtl Quality, 1999 -- MT Sup Ct. Opinion
- PEDF v. Commonwealth, June 20, 2017 -- PA Sup Ct Opinion
- Robinson Township, Delaware Riverkeeper Network, et al v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania., Sept 28, 2016 -- PA Sup Ct Opinion
- Park County Envtl Comm'n & Yellowstone Coalition v. MT DEQ & Lucky Minerals, Dec. 8, 2020 -- MT Sup Ct Opinion
- Fresh Air for the Eastside, Inc. v. State of New York, Supreme Court State of New York County of Monroe, Dec 7. 2022
- Fresh Air For The East Side v. Town of Perinton, Supreme Court State of New York County of Monroe, Dec. 8, 2022